The purpose of this open educational resource (OER) is to provide learning related to environmentally safe and effective fertilizers. Repeated use of land for farming leads to depletion of nutrients. This can lead to a drop in crop productivity. Use of chemical fertilizers leads to pollution of the environment and a downward trend in soil health. Use of biofertilizers can address this problem and be a mainstay for sustainable agriculture. Hence, the need for resources related to the development and use of biofertilizers.
The objective of this course is to support learners achieve the following learning outcomes:
- understand and be able to define biofertilizers;
- understand what types of microbes constitute potential biofertilizer candidates (nitrogen fixers, phosphate solubilizers, plant growth hormone producers, siderophore producers, symbionts, endophytes);
- be able to isolate and purify such candidate microbes and understand how to test them for their potential;
- be able to grow such candidate microbes in larger volumes and develop them into biofertilizers using suitable carrier material;
- be able to analyze factors affecting and conditions required for improvement of crop productivity viz. soil type, soil composition, climatic conditions, irrigation and fertilizer/ nutrient requirements;
- understand the importance of and methodology for application of biofertilizers in the field to yield higher crop productivity in a sustainable manner.
Keywords describing the contents of the course:
Biofertilizer, nitrogen fixers, phosphate solubilizers, plant growth hormone producers, siderophore producers, symbionts, endophytes, OER, UN Sustainable Development Goals
Credit load: 2 credits
Duration of the course: It is estimated that participants will require 30 hours (i.e. 5 hours per week for a total of 6 weeks) to complete this course.
Target participants: students who have completed their high school studies (Grade XII) with biology; undergraduate students; teachers; farmers
Access to a Microbiology laboratory will be required for the project component of this course.
Study material: Reference material (text) , PPT, video lectures, links to relevant websites.
Methodology: Inquiry-based learning and project-based learning
Self assessment: can be done by taking the quizzes that are available after each lesson lesson on this WordPress website. Self assessment alone, in this manner, will not lead to certification.
Formal assessment for certification is available on the Edmodo platform
To access the Edmodo platform:
Enter class code: x4egrd to join the class
If you are not already on the Edmodo platform, you will need to sign up by creating a login with your email id and password, once you are on the Edmodo website.
Details of assessment pattern are available on Course Structure: Contents and Assessment Pattern
Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations targeted:
- Goal 1: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 2: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 3: Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning.
Biofertilizer Production by Mrs. Sneha Ogale in partnership with Dr. Viviane Vladimirschi is licensed with a Creative Commons CC BY NC 4.0 International license. Educators and learners are welcome to download, adopt, adapt, and share the content as long as they provide attribution to Mrs. Sneha Ogale and restrict their use to non-profit contexts.
This project is part of OE4BW Hub covering North And South America led by Dr. Jenni Hayman, Hub Coordinator.
In this course you will learn introductory terms and concepts related to biofertilizers and their production
- Course Structure: Contents and Assessment Pattern
- General Instructions for the course
- Module 1
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Biofertilizer Production
- Quiz on: Lesson 1: Introduction to Biofertilizer Production
- Lesson 2: Nitrogen Fixing Microorganisms
- Lesson 3: Video Demonstration- Biofertilizer production using Nitrogen fixing Microorganisms
- Quiz on Lessons 2 and 3: Nitrogen Fixing Microorganisms and Biofertilizer Production
- Module 1: INQUIRY BASED LEARNING (IBL) Problem I
- Project component 1
- Module 2
- Lesson: Phosphate Solubilising Microorganisms
- Quiz on: Lesson: Phosphate Solubilising Microorganisms
- Module 2: Inquiry Based Learning (IBL) Problem II
- Project component 2
- Module 3
- Lesson: Indole-3-Acetic Acid Producing Microorganisms
- Quiz on Lesson: Indole-3-Acetic Acid Producing Microorganisms
- Module 3: Inquiry Based Learning (IBL) Problem III
- Project component 3
- Module 4
- Lesson: Siderophore Producing Microorganisms
- Quiz on Lesson: Siderophore Producing Microorganisms
- Module 4: Inquiry Based Learning (IBL) Problem IV
- Project component 4